Sunday, December 29, 2013

End of cycle

I tested 3 of my lifts after 5 weeks (lift/initial weight/final weight): 
-Squat/225x5/315x1
-Press/105x5 ladders/135x1
-Floor press/155x5 ladders/185x1

Body weight 192lbs
Fasted state

Final thoughts

As expected, the high frequency did wonders for my squat, even beyong my expectations. 315lbs was my goal, but I didn't really believe I could do it. I'm getting closer from my long term goal of squating twice my body weight. Pavel was right again: greasing the squat patern without squating is enough. 

Despite the clearly good results from the ladders, 1 different lift per day is not the best idea for an swing dancer. I've been sore until the tapper week and had to be extra careful with the aerial pratices all the time. From all my testing, I concluded that the following protocol was the best for me: 
-Pick a weight I think I can handle for 4-5 reps
-Start with a 1, 2, 3 ladder for up to 5 ladders
-Switch for a 1, 2, 3, 4 ladder or add a ladder to the previous one
-Switch for a 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ladder when ready
-Once I can do a 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 x 3 ladders. add 5 ou 10lbs and start over

Also, my time in the weight room was too long. I don't my lifting some weight 5 days a week, because I'm already at the gym to dance and I feel better afterward anyway, but I like to keep the work under the 45min line warm up included. 

The only lift that did not increased was the weighted chin up with Fatzgrip. Perhaps because I hated it or my initial weight was too heavy, but I sticked at +20lbs and added some insignificant reps. 

I've been so impressed with the dips! I haven't done those in months and they made me realize the poor mobility of my shouilder because of my shorten bicep tendons. It took me 3 weeks and over 150 reps of them to finally feel alright. Because it is soo easy to cheat doing dips, I don't they are worth using as a 1RM kind of lift, but rather to support the other lifts and my scapular mobility/stability. 

I will definitely keep the 5 weeks template, but I'll get back to somthing similar to the RKC clean & press routine, picking up one press and one pull I can use in a ladder structure. 


Floor Press

Press

Squat

No comments:

Post a Comment