Monday, December 2, 2013

Choose your words wisely

I will stop using the word workout  to talk about my strength training. It sounds insignificant, but there is a huge difference between exercising/ working out and training/practicing. Practicing my strength is an integrated part of my dance training now and it is just as important as any other part of it.

Therefore, I keep track of my data and I need to watch progress over time, if not I have to make adjustment. In the fitness industry, they call that principle progressive overload which I think applies for any skills. Statu quo  is only possible once you got really good at something. We all know some dancers who used to be at the top in 2006, but somehow still manage to place in that one competition they go every year even if they don’t practice anymore. It works with dancing, strength, music instruments, languages, sports, name it! The minimum effective dose can be really low just to maintain something you can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment